Prev: Krylon Experiment Next: Message to Los

GPS

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 06:05:56 -0400
Subject: GPS

I'm sure I'm labouring under a few incorrect
impressions, so someone around here who is in
the know can clear things up:

1) Has not GPS (civilian side) been given up to
some sort of open system? (If so, wouldn't
futzing up parts of it be problematic?)

2) Can differential GPS (multi-receiver) defeat or
significantly attenuate the futzing up signal?
(That is, can't differential GPS be used in such a
way as to amerliorate the effects of signal
uncertainty introduction)? If so, the only
receivers that will be seriously futzed by the
fuzz that can be inserted (fuzz substituting for
any real technical understanding....) would be
the non-differential single receiver GPSes,
correct? (And yes, these are the more common
variety IIRC)

3. If the US (or anyone) were to fuzz up a
signal coming from someplace and this caused
some manner of disaster (air crash, ship to run
aground and sink, etc), wouldn't that be a very
bad thing? (Yes, I know secondary navigation
methods are meant to verify positions, but
people ARE becoming GPS dependent).  I
realize when weighed against a large scale
offensive, these risks are minimal, however I can
see someone attempting some form of
litigation... (Land of the Free, Home of the
Lawyer)

Thanks for any clarification or any correction.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Krylon Experiment Next: Message to Los