Prev: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles Next: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles

Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:45:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

--- "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@sprintmail.com> wrote:
> > Sure.
> >
> > They tried that.  You know what happened?  You
> were
> > paying attention when the US drove two corps
> around
> > their right flank, right?
>
> Back then the Iraqi's didn't have GPS so couldn't
> navigate in the deep
> desert.  That is no longer true.

I doubt the Iraqis have enough GPS to matter.  And
even if they did, they havn't got the logistical
structures to run around the deep desert.  If they did
have the logistical structures, the USAF would go
buck-wild clusterbombing fuel truck convoys.  The
beautiful thing about the deep desert is that it's too
flat for any meaningful radar shadow, so things like
JSTARS work real well.

 Besides, last I
> heard, neither Kuwait nor
> Saudi Arabia are interested in letting U.S. forces
> on their soil in the next
> go around...

Last I heard, neither Kuwait nor SA are stupid enough
to argue with us should we choose to ignore their
wishes.

Or we can use Turkey as a jumpoff point.  That gives
us friendly locals work with.

> > You loose, when attack aviation or artillery paste
> > every one of your tanker graves at H-Hour.
>
> Only if the tanks are really there when arty and air
> show up.  Decoys in
> fixed forts are a great way to set-up anti-aircraft
> kill zones...  Besides,

That presumes you've got the AA assets to do something
that good.  I doubt Iraq does.	And I'm sure the USAF
plans for these things.  Do you know how many air
defense supression missions were flown in 1991?

> gravel bombs make satelite recon useless for
> determining which positions
> have tanks in them in real time, which means you are

You have to have launch assets, which the Iraqis
don't.

> Besides, DS and SG have both grav vehicles and hover
> vehciles, so you have
> do have the abilty to fight in marshes.

Neither of which are going to be sheltering behind
berms because of the maneuverability of grav
vehicles--I'll go right around your prepared defenses.

John

http://finance.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles Next: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles