Prev: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles.... Next: Re: [Painting] Krylon Mystique - APR - [Long]

Re: Soviet tanks and missiles....

From: "Robert W. Eldridge" <bob_eldridge@m...>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 16:57:28 -0400
Subject: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles....

Well, the US used to have one, the M60A2 ,which fired a Shillaleagh
missile,
same one used on the Sheridan, from a short tube launcher, along with HE
and
HEAT conventional rounds. In addition to some technical problems
(reliability, etc.) it had one huge tactical problem - the slow time of
flight of the missile. In the time it took the missile to get to it's
target, the target or it's overwatch could put 4-5 rounds back down
range at
the M60A2, probably taking the M60A2 out before the missile impacted.
Needless to say, the M60A2 was NOT well liked by it's crews.