Prev: RE: [Painting] Krylon Mystique Next: Re:Temporarily Incommunicado

Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

From: Robert Crawford <crawford@k...>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:08:31 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

B Lin wrote:
> Short answer - yes.  Long answer - sort of.  The US military can add
"noise" to the GPS signal making it less accurate - i.e. position within
100 meters or within 1 km rather than within 3m.  With that kind of
error, using GPS to plot artillery or bombing missions is much more
difficult.

> Military units can use a corrected signal or supplement with ground
based signals to remain at the 3m accuracy of GPS.

GPS has two signals -- an open "civilian" channel and an encrypted
"military" channel.

Noise can be added to just one channel -- the civilian one, of course.
They've also figured out how to add noise to only certain regions. I
don't know how large a region it has to be, but, for example, they could

mess up the civilian channel in the Middle East, but leave it untouched
in the US.

In the GZG universe, I think the first thing you do when you have space
superiority is to replace -- or take over -- the local GPS
constellation. And, GPS can be used to determine your location in space
near the planet.

Prev: RE: [Painting] Krylon Mystique Next: Re:Temporarily Incommunicado