Prev: Re: [FT]Fighter/Ordnance order, was:Thanks For Attending War Fair Next: Re: Warfair

Re: ACE question for John A

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:51:27 -0400
Subject: Re: ACE question for John A

At 8:54 AM -0700 8/29/02, John Atkinson wrote:
>Once upon a time (during the 1950s) there was this
>woman (can we call her a dippy broad?) [No, dammit, we
>can't call her a dippy broad.	It's a bedtime story]
>(for wargamers!) [NO].  She was approached by
>{knuckle-dragging self-propelled sandbags) [Shut Up]

snip

No wonder you hate the thing so much. Al under-pan for an engineer
vehicle? It sounds like the only proper way to get a good set of
combat engineer vehicles is buy what the British have and stick it on
a M1 Chassis or buy their system off the shelf. It'd be better than
nothing (for the logistics headache) and would work.

The Brits have been building combat engineer kit since Percy Hobart
started building his Funnies. Of course at that time the US Army
brass didn't want tanks that only did things a bulldozer would do.
The end result was dead Americans on Utah and Omaha.

The US did call on the Brits and their Funnies to deal with the
Cherbourg fortifications. Typucally an AVRE and a crocodile was what
worked. The AVRE cracked the bunker and then the Churchill flamed it.
According to some accounts having the Churchill roll up and
demonstrate its flame thrower range and capacity was enough to get
bunker defenders to start walking out with their hands up.

 From the Brit MV mags I've read they are keeping up the legacy. The
new generation of BARV is impressive. They still use fascines and
still use the AVRE in modern forms as well as AVLBs.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [FT]Fighter/Ordnance order, was:Thanks For Attending War Fair Next: Re: Warfair