Prev: [SG2] Fire Team Casualties Question, for the Experts Next: [SG2] Range Bands for Support Weapons on Vehicles

RE: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:33:13 -0400
Subject: RE: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

At 2:13 PM -0600 8/28/02, B Lin wrote:
>IIRC the account as listed by Tom Clancy was that an American M1
>spotted an Iraqi T-72 moving behind a sand berm.  The berm was 15
>feet tall so direct sight of the tank was lost.  Using the thermal
>sight, the heated exhaust plume of the Iraqi tank was visible rising
>above the berm.  Calculating where the bulk of the tank should lie,
>the M1 fired through the berm.  The APFSDS went through the berm and
>through the Iraqi tank.  I don't think that the range was listed.
>From pictures I've seen of the sand berms, they were 20-30 feet
>thick.

At the base or at the point where the round penetrated. Given how
sand doesn't like to slope very much when dry, I'd expet that the
berm had to be far thinner at the top than at the base.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: [SG2] Fire Team Casualties Question, for the Experts Next: [SG2] Range Bands for Support Weapons on Vehicles