Prev: Re: [SG] Luring players Next: Re: [SG] Luring players

Re: [SG] Luring players

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:44:20 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] Luring players

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:59:18 -0400, "Damond Walker"
<dwalker@syncretic.com>
wrote:

>    That's the reason right there.  The resolution of the units.  In
ASL you
>are handling squad sized units with the occasional special counter
thrown
>into the mix (MG, Leaders, Vehicles, etc).  In SG you are moving each
man of
>the squad: that takes time.

That's only part of the reason. SG2 is played at the squad level. You
move
individual figures, but the centre of the squad is what's important for
movement and range distances. I've even taught newbies to play by having
the
squad leader as the centre of the squad and just moving him. They
measure for
the squad leader, move him, then group the rest of the squad around him
any
way they want. One measurement at a time. This is fast and doesn't
account for
the disparity between the two systems.

I forgot something. SL allows multiple squads to fire at the one target
with
one combat resolution. That can speed things up considerably.

>    The Guards Counterattack sounds like it's from Squad Leader (not
ASL)
>and if memory serves it's a bloody scenario.  The action really peaks
around
>turn 5 or 6 (it's a 7 turn scenario) when it becomes a mad dash to
fulfill
>victory conditions.

There's a version of the Guards Counterattack available for ASL, as per
the
programmed rules for ASL that appeared in one of the ASL annuals. I
played it
once, I think, as an ASL scenario.

I was ready to ditch my ASL stuff as I just don't have the one or two
lifetimes necessary to devote to a single game. I changed my mind when I
bought _Retro_, a rules system for playing a much, much, much stripped
down
version of ASL. It looks like

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:

Prev: Re: [SG] Luring players Next: Re: [SG] Luring players