Prev: Re: Nomenclature, part 37 Next: Re: Nomenclature, part 37

Re: [FT] SUS - Tractor Beams

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:21:53 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] SUS - Tractor Beams

In message <08DF6925-B694-11D6-A456-000393071770@jhuapl.edu>
	  Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> From: Charles Taylor <nerik@monkslode.fsnet.co.uk>
> In message <B09B73A9-B4FC-11D6-88E7-000393071770@jhuapl.edu>
>	      Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> > The reason for tractor beams forcing a turn if applied though a side
> arc
> > _in_cinematic_movement_ is an attempt to have a tractor beam that
> > affects the velocity of the ship, rather than a (less realistic
IMHO)
> > one-off pull/push effect.
>
> I understand, but this makes tractors much more powerful in cinematic.
> Changing a ships heading by 60 degrees is huge (potentially
catastrophic

> if there's a planet nearby), as opposed to changing their vector by a
> few MU (assuming they're moving at more than a crawl to begin with. I
> still think pull/push and rotation should be different functions.

Hmm.. how about:

Cinematic Tractor beams
=======================

The effect of tractor beams is applied after movement - 'pulls' move
ships together (which ship moves is based on MASSes, as before), and
modify the ships current speed as before - but do not cause turning.

[snip]

> >> Tractor Shears:
> >> I think an opposed tractor beam should work as a tractor shear. It
> >> rolls
> >> defensively just as the attacking tractor rolls offensively. If you
> >> want
> >> defense to be easier than offense, make the defensive roll 2 dice
per
> >> point of Tractor strength.
>
> > Tractor shears are inspired by those in the Lensman books - but
weaker
> > (the Lensman version seemed to impart immunity to tractor beams).
>
> The Lensman system sounds reasonable as a seperate system to nullify
> tractors. If you just want to have a tractor war, then opposed
tractors
> is simpler. Again, if you want defense to be easier, then give the
> defending tractor more dice per point (that way a "defensive" tractor
> could oppose a "multipurpose" tractor of twice the points).

Hmm... I modelled the Tractor shears on the existing screen vs. beam
mechanism - i.e. just use an existing game mechanic.

[snip]

> Zoner Beam Ring    (Noam R. Izenberg - watch where you point that
thing)

> Ban Zone Grime     (Why Noam Izenberg showers after leaving the Zone)

Charles

Prev: Re: Nomenclature, part 37 Next: Re: Nomenclature, part 37