Prev: Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds Next: Re: States of matter was: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds

Re: Translation

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:35:20 +1000
Subject: Re: Translation

From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de>

> Strictly speaking, German compound words should not be hyphenated. So
> German teacher would insist on 'Schnellfeuerplasmakanone', but most
people
> do it for clarity.
> 'Kanone' is really an artillery piece and not used for man-portable
> weaponry. '-gewehr' (rifle), '-büchse' (musket), '-faust' (as in
> Panzerfaust) are alternatives.

The worst example I actually came across was the Gepard AA Tank's Fire
Control
system.
Heavy Armoured Anti-Aircraft Gun Direction Apparatus :
Schwerpanzerfleugzeugabwehrkanonerichtunggereat
Fortunately they used Direction - "Richtung" rather than Fire Control
Channel-
"Feurleitkanal" or it would have been even longer.