Prev: Re: FLIEGERRAKETENWOTZITZ Next: Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tankrounds

Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tankrounds

From: "Robert W. Eldridge" <bob_eldridge@m...>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:10:44 -0400
Subject: Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tankrounds

In the US Army it's called HEP - High Explosive Plastic.  They can be
very
effective, but they are extremely unreliable, because the actual effect
on
the target is highly variable. A standard "party piece" at various
demonstrations was to trot out a bushel basket full of fragments
collected
from a HEP hit on a target hulk. What nobody ever mentioned was how many
shots it took to get one that produced THAT effect. HEP/HESH is  very
effective against concrete, however, and that was it's main use by
doctrine
(in the 70's anyhow) in the US Army.