Prev: Re: Scouts and dinky armoured cars Next: Re: No one's a third rate power....

Re: Scouts and dinky armoured cars

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 01:01:41 -0400
Subject: Re: Scouts and dinky armoured cars

At 6:31 PM -0400 8/15/02, kaladorn@magma.ca wrote:

>I'm not arguing against having armour 1. I recommend that for scouts.
>Their protection should stop rifles and LMGs. HMGs if it is feasible.

Usually something designers try for. Its hard. HMGs are getting
bigger and nastier at their job.

>My point was that effective anti-armour weapons appear in almost any
>squad in the 2183 TO&E, and therefore I don't think they get
>protection that really matters in most situations. Might stop some
>small arms, but the prevalence of IAVRs and GMS/P make me think that
>light armoured vehicles are under severe threat unless they are very
>very hard to hit.

I never dis-advocated that. My emphesis is that a near hit that
merely damages or bumps a light armored vehicle will destroy a
softskin from blast effects only. HE rounds make it harder too.

>This is probably true versus most AC and fast tracked too.

The air cushion vehicles will allow the wheeled vehicles to stop and
hide first what with their signature. Fast track we already have.

>Airborne and satellite recce is still a significant factor.

Assuming they haven't been knocked out of the sky Hammer's style.

>Whereas I think wheeled vehicle weighing multiple tons crinkling
>along gravel and dirt are far louder than the utterly silent solid-
>state grav technology IMU. :)

*shrug*  Ok. I guess Grav gets you a free lunch humm?

>Does the role of finding the enemy, calling down air and artillery
>assets, executing sniper missions, etc. change in this case?

Its a question of proportional force ability across the board. But if
you want really heavy armor and scouts that can't defend themselves
from militia, let alone a heavy armor force on the other side of the
valley go ahead.

>No, the only mission that changes is the force on force using the
>scouts. Since I am not fond of these situations for my scouts, I
>might actively discourage them from arising.

Then your scouts won't be executing counter intelligence gathering?

>And while your enemy heavy force is spending transit mass and $$ on
>packing in heavier armoured scouts with more dismounts (bigger
>target, harder to stealth, etc), I'm taking that same mass and $$$ in
>extra MBTs. I like my chances.

Except my scouts will eat your scouts for lunch. Then, we'll see who
hits who.

>No? One carries two guys, one carries six. One carries an MG, the
>other an MG and possibly a GMS/L or H. Do they really weigh about the
>same? (I imagine the HMMWV is actually bigger) Are the logistics
>(counting carried crew) equivalent? Doesn't the Ferret require a lot
>of special lubricants/etc?

Ferret is denser. A friend here in town has a HMMWV and a Ferret.
We've had all three vehicles out at an event. The ferret is taller
but not as long. Its also almost as wide, but not quite. The Dingo
when I've had it out off road is able to do some amazing feats over
some really rough ground. Having armor all over the place and huge
bullet proof suspension components is really really nice. No alloy
there, its all steel.

>When I made the comparison, I'm talking about heavy scouts like those
>in M3 CFVs. That would be more logistically challenging than a grav
>buggy - being bigger, heavier, and carrying more guys.

Bradlys seem too large for their role. Something smaller really makes
more sense. I'm stuck on the WWII british recce units. Maybe
something the size of the Fox Armored car from the 70's and 80s. Good
compact size, albeit top heavy. Good weapon, low weight.

>What I'm suggesting is more like a grav FAV with light armour. Sort
>of like a Grav Ferret. Armed with an MG/APSW.

Not a bad idea.

>For that role, I use airmobile PA. Normal vehicles (even heavier
>ones) and infantry won't hold out well against PA.... even if they
>are a little tougher.

PA probably has problems with long duration marches. How do you scout
on the move?

>And did recce units use Guntrucks a lot? Were they using ACAVs
>usefully for recce? (debatable how a large diesel/CFE is a good recce
>vehicle...), etc.

Well, they performed route recce, a role of scouts. Point being, the
crews added extra MGs to the vehicles because the situation warranted
it. The brass had a fit because of the "unauthorized" gunshields and
M60's on the loaders side of the M47 and M48s. The crews simply made
sure there weren't easily seen gunmounts. As a result the Loaders
didn't have gunshields. I wonder how many troopers died because the
brass got upset about a triviality in a warzone.

In that kind of war, the recce units had to put lots of fire on an
ambush to kill it. Generally they could. In Vietnam tanks were
actually very well used and very useful for the fight. With every MG
and weapon on a tank firing things were pretty good. They even	put
the gunner on the back deck with an M60 while the loader serviced the
Main Gun. The Commander controlled the main-gun with his override and
fired the coax by virtue of either a lanyard or kicking the rear
plate with his boot (worked on one kind of gun). Main Gun, Coax,
Commander's mg and an M60+M79. 3-5 of those M47 or M48s and several
more ACAVS is a lot of lead into an ambush. Thats a heck of a lot of
suppression going down range.

>We're talking about a recce unit doing recce taskings for which a
>lightly armed and armoured recce vehicle is sufficient (in fact, best
>suited). If you want to use your recce guys to babysit convoys, etc.,
>then feel free.

Guess what, sometimes recce units are the supply convoy. Happened in
WWII in a few instances. Turretless M5's from the recce troop were
used in some British armored divisons to get supplies up quickly.

>Peacekeeping requires a whole other force doctrine, training
>structure, and equipment loadout. It's highly debatable whether
>troops well trained and experienced at peacekeeping make excellent
>warfighters and vice versa. (this argument also applies to trying to
>turn warfighters into police and vice versa).
>
>So if your scouts are stuck in this kind of role, something isn't too
>right in the first place IMO.

Guess what. It's reality. The folks that get shipped off to such
functions are typically using the same gear. Britains recce units
provided a significant portion of the internal security armor for
road duties in Northern Ireland. Ferrets and Saracens abounded in
Bandit country. Saladins were there too. The Pigs came later, then
came the piglets.

>What's the difference between a grav mobile armour 1 jeep and a grav
>mobile armour 1 armoured car? Flavourtext. I'm arguing against size 2
>or 3 scout vehicles and heavy armaments.

Ahh. So you thought ferrets were big stinking vehicles? You need to
buy yourself some armor or go to an event.

>Really? Differentials (possibly multiple ones), complex gearboxes,
>ball joints, struts, etc. As opposed to a solid state field generator
>with no moving parts that operates from under armour. Hmmmm.... which
>is more complex and which is more capable? IMU, grav wins both
>(justifies the high costs).

Guess what. HMMWV have portal axles. They have complex gear boxes. So
do Unimogs. That's why all three vehicles have similar cross country
performance. Fully independent suspension that's driven on all
wheels. Thats how you avoid wheel slip. The ferret does it in a nice
old fashioned way with 1940's tech. Hard to beat that for
maintainablity. The difference with the Mogs and HMMWVs is they
probably leak less. Seal technology can really help. So can
manufacturing and casting methods.

There are sevearl AFV designs that are going on some extant truck
chassis. Nations that already have that truck in inventory really
like AFV components that are directly taken from their logistics
vehicles. The Ferret had significant parts commonality with the
Saracens, Saladins, Stalwarts and Champ. Does the M1 Abrams have
parts commonality with anything in the US force structure? Does the
LAV?

Noone's agreed on how GRAV works our more specifically sounds. I
think TANSTAAFL will drive GRAV to be a noisy technology. Wheels are
pretty quiet on the road. Tracks are louder. GEV is positively worse,
GRAV must scream.

>And I think spaceportability (and airportability) are issues. IMU
>anyway. Perhaps you have unlimited lift capacity in yours.

Well, lessee, Ferret Airportable in a C130. Similar armored vehicles
that are being looked at by the Brits for this service are to be C130
portable. Its a good benchmark.

>Grav vehicles may well have a big plus here (they can skitter off
>when a mine goes off and disipate some of the energy just in movng
>them and their suspension isn't exposed).

Whats setting off the mine? Probably some kind of field flux. If you
can repel gravity, you can use detectors to swivel the charge at the
vehicle.

>I've seen mine tests against the hummer (fitted out correctly). It'll
>take a mine without breaching the driver/passenger compartment. The
>vehicle probably won't move afterwards, but the crew should be okay.

Should or will? I've heard of a few guys getting hurt by Mine
explosions. We're talking AntiTank mines here. Not AP mines. But then
I guess countries like Rhodesia, South African and others that had to
play in mine infested areas the hard way invested money for nothing
if the HMMWV is so mine resistant. The same could be said for
Austrailia's new Digger Mover Truck as well as a number of other
wheeled AFV technologies.

>Short, thin (not wide), grav mobile, fast, and stealthy. Great for
>recce. Also grav leaves less wake disturbance and it's harder to ID
>the enemy scout elements by tracking their tracks IMU.

Cant carry much gear can you? Long road marches. You should have seen
how the Brits loaded down their Royal Engineer route recce elements.
In later years Ferrets grew a rear stowage basket over the rear
engine deck. I'm not sure what those RE guys carried, but there was a
lot of it from the photo's I've seen.

>  I don't think you realize just how small 4 wheeled
>>  armored cars can get.
>
>Is the ferret much smaller than the little german 222? (I think
>that's the small

Not by much. Thats probably a size 2. Ferret would be size 1-2.

>German one I've been aboard). I've been to a number of WW2 and later
>armour museums (including the Canadian War Museum Vehicle Annex). I
>know they can be quite small. But they can't be quite small, super
>fast, and
>carry heavy firepower, defenses and armour. That isn't feasible. So
>pick a few
>things. I pick minimal armour (enough to stop rifles), fast, some
>light defenses
>(smoke, ECM), and some light weapons (APSWs).

Well, a vehicle that carries 6 guys with combat gear is far bigger
than a ferret. LAVs are huge compared to a ferret or a dingo.
Vertical signature on the ferret is 6'. Compared to tanks they look
like a field mouse sneaking across the battle field.

>No doubt. If you want to emphasize wheeled vehicles in your universe.

Cheap and easy to get parts mfged on remote worlds. Common with the
logistics vehicles. Mine resitant hulls are easy to gravt onto
standard truck chassis.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: Scouts and dinky armoured cars Next: Re: No one's a third rate power....