Prev: 2nd and 3rd rate powers Next: Re: 2nd and 3rd rate powers

Re: The GZGverse UN

From: Ludo Toen <ludo.toen@p...>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:53:43 +0200
Subject: Re: The GZGverse UN

> completely!). In contrast, by 1914 the UK had a seven hundred year
long
> tradition of reasonably successful military interventions on the
> continent, and had a large empire to draw manpower and other resources

> from (not to mention a much larger manpower pool at home than Sweden
has
> even now) -

Having read Lloyd Georges WWI memoires I can assure you that the UK was
in no way ready to fight a major war on the continent. Mismanagment in
manpower, resources and production seriously hampered the war effort.
Just as in WWII the UK was nearly strangled by the German U-boats and
the war was only won because of US production and manpower.

 it wasn't really a question about *whether* Britain would
> get involved in WW1, only on which side she'd enter the war. The grand

> alliances weren't particularly stable in the two-three decades prior
> the war, after all.

The UK didn't really come into the war because of any alliances with the

French or any other nation. Their main motive was they had assured the
existence of Belgium.

Prev: 2nd and 3rd rate powers Next: Re: 2nd and 3rd rate powers