Prev: Re: Speaking of. . . Next: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was

Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:03:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter

Nifty idea, Charles.

> 1) Support Ground operations by rapidly transporting personnel and
> equipment to or from the surface

> 2) Perform boarding actions against enemy spacecraft or
installations...

This could simply be used as the PSB venue for "standard" bording
operations.

> 3) Act as a form of salvo missile launcher

Similarly, this could be an alternate PSB for an SM system (w/o special
transmitter rules). Exactly the same mechanics, but a different
description - witth the potential added bonus that "magazine ships"
could hang 36" back from the action and refill the frontline magazines
by transmission.

> 4) Act as a form of Plasma Bolt Launcher
> 5) Transmit/Receive fighters and other small craft
> 6) Mine-laying.

The system you detail adds some interesting new mechanics, but as
written, would you ever buy Matter Transmitter missiles over Salvo
missiles? Or a Plasma Generator over a PBL? The mystery of the target is

not, I think (without the benefit of seeing it in action), sufficient to

merit the extra cost of the system.

Again, pretty much every mode described _could_ simply be seen as
alternate PSB's for standard functions requiring no real rule mods -
only flavor text changes. Pulse Torps could be redescribed as Matter
Transmitter Bombs. Even Beams could be redefined as Matter Chippers - a
Matter Transmitter attempting to "beam away" pieces of an opposing ship.

I like to see a function for a system like this that would not be a
repackaging of an existing effect. Boarding/Ground support operations
(and/or crew unit abduction), which are still fairly open to definition,

seems the best areas so far.

Bizarre Hempen Analog	 (Noam Raphael Izenberg - pass that clip along,

Prev: Re: Speaking of. . . Next: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was