Prev: Making a WW2 Mod - was Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players Next: Re: Allan's comments on GenCon

Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:36:54 -0500
Subject: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:08:57 +0100, "Mike Elliott"
<Mike.Elliott@steria.co.uk>
wrote:

>So given the fact that all wargamers are lazy, and that DS2 doesn't say
it
>can be used for historical games on the cover, who IS going to convince
>them that it can be used for WW2/Modern games?

Folks like you and me who play both sides of the fence (uh,
sci-fi/fantasy
_and_ historicals, I mean! *grin*). The best thing to do is to have your
mods
on a piece of paper and hand them out during the game to anyone
interested.
Then those who liked it will maybe by the sci-fi rules to play the game.

>(Incidentally, I am planning
>to play some Vietnam games using DS2. Its all helicopters and infantry
so
>DS2 should work like a dream with virtually no modifications.)

Post your mods on the web or on here, pretty please?

>You won't need the encyclopedic stats database that Flak Magnet was
talking
>about creating first, just enough stats so you can play the game at the
>shows.

The only problem with not doing the stats is that often it takes
experience
with a game system to know how to change it to get "historical" results.
couldn't have written _Hardtack_ without playing SG2 for a while first.
Someone who has played DS2 once at a convention might find coming up
with
North African desert stats for DS2 in WW2 a bit overwhelming.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:
http://www.darkicon.com/Library/randsent.htm

Prev: Making a WW2 Mod - was Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players Next: Re: Allan's comments on GenCon