Prev: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone? Next: Making a WW2 Mod - was Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players

Re: [OT] GenCon (was Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?)

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:46:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] GenCon (was Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?)

--- Allan Goodall <agoodall@att.net> wrote:

> >no perspective (someone had a character that was
> carrying around 10,000
> >gold pieces
> >who didn't have the slightest idea of it's weight

Most "modern" gamers use the "gp" the same way the
book says to: it's a money of account, used to keep
track of large sums.  Actually it would be in a
variety of forms, dependant on the actual setting.
Frequently, gems.

The 'A' does NOT stand for accountant.

Also note that weights of coinage vary wildly--the 1st
Edition AD&D had gold coins weighing .1 lbs each,
which is nearly twice the weight of the heaviest coin
I'm familliar with.

More common would be something like the Roman
standard, where a noumisma (known in the west as a
"Bezant") weighs 1/72 of a Roman pound.  Very small.

> >As a side point a Leonardo game, that I played in,
> was fully allowed at
> >Historicon where everything
> >that Leonardo had dreamed up was allowed.  My cog
> (as in sailing ship)
> >took on a canon firing
> >submersible and was attacked by a manpowered
> helicopter. I guess that
> >this "historical" game had
> >it's cloaking device on.
>
> *L* Well, that _is_ history... of a sort. *L* Some
> folks just don't get the
> difference.

I pissed off the local "historical" crowd but hard
with the following conversation:

"Looks like a fantasy game to me."
"It's DBM and it's historical."
"Well, you've got those guys on the mailed horses. . .
"
"Those are Medieval Koreans!"
"Right, you've got Koreans fighting guys in chariots
with half-nekkid infantry.  Aren't those Egyptians?"
"Yeah, New Kingdom Egyptians."
"So, Koreans vs. New Kingdom Egyptians.  Sounds like
fantasy to me."

The sad part is the New Kingdom Egyptians were winning
because the most common ancients rules (DBM) doesn't
make allowances for things like the difference between
steel and bronze, between chariots and cavalry, or any
other technological change.

These same guys would dump in their drawers at the
idea of playing a game with mass drivers or laser
rifles.

John

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com