Prev: Re: Planetary gravity question. Next: Re: Jon T (was Re: Turbans and stuff (was: Re: Beer crates, again...))

Re: Planetary gravity question.

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 17:29:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Planetary gravity question.

> Wow. That was math. Help. :)

> I knew that it depended on mass but now that's confirmed... :)
> Would the inclusion of denser materials and metals make the soil
toxic in any way?

 The way it works with the Earth is that a lot of the heavy elements
are in the core, which is dense.  You could have a world with a
comparatively large core and thin mantle and have it fairly
Earth-like.  It wouldn't necessarily affect the soil.

    If you want to do some realistic planetbuilding, you ought to get
Stephen Gillett's book called World-Building,  ISBN 0-89879-707-1.
    If you just want to make it up as you go along, you could say that
it has toxic amounts of thorium, uranium, whatever.  Or the local
plants look a little plastic, because they incorporate chlorine into
their makeup.  Whatever you like.

Prev: Re: Planetary gravity question. Next: Re: Jon T (was Re: Turbans and stuff (was: Re: Beer crates, again...))