Prev: Re: The GZGverse UN Next: Re: The GZGverse UN

Re: The GZGverse UN

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 15:42:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The GZGverse UN

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:

> >I don't think so.  Far more likely that those are
> UN-flagged
> >on the map because they were colonized by multiple
> powers.
>
> Judging from the fact that the "several major
> powers" which attempted to
> limit the UNSC's peacekeeping mandate in 2145 only

?? Which timeline is that from?  Actually in FT II it
says "UNSC presence prevents war intruding on the Core
systems, though combat occurs on several inner
colonies".  That's not the same thing.

> managed to impose
> significant restrictions on UNSC ops in the
> Outworlds and the Inner
> Colonies but *not* in the Core, it looks as if these
> "several major powers"
> didn't have that much control over the Core - and
> not because they kept
> each other in check (since this seems to have been
> the case in the Inner
> Colonies and Outworlds, where they *did* manage to
> limit the UNSC mandate),
> but because there were other powers which dominated
> the Core colonies.

It sounds more to me that the potential damage in the
Core systems would be the limiting factor, so a
defacto truce would be in place policed by the UN.
Remember, Albion, the most densely populated planet in
the NAC has the same population as England.  That
indicates to me that the core/Terra still contains a
significant fraction of the population.  Population =
Power.

> My take on this is that most of the colonies in
> Centaurus and Barnard's
> were founded not by the major power blocs but by
> minor nations,
> corporations and NGOs - quite possibly with the UN

Why do you assume that the major powers would not fund
the first human colonies?  I don't see Nigeria
launching many satellites, and even the second rank
powers (Europe, Britain, China) were decades behind
the superpowers.  Why should space colonization be any
different?

> (unlike the "major powers" whose main
> extraterrestrial territories are in
> the Inner Colonies and Outworlds).

Who's main exclusively owned colonies. . .

> By the 2180s the "UN" is therefore effectively a
> confederation of Core
> colonies and minor Earth states. Although the "major

You do realize there aren't many minor Earth states
left, right?  The Asians are all in the ESU, IC, or
IFed.  The Africans are all in the PAU or IFed.  The
Latin Americans are all NAC subjects.  Who's left in
the category of "minor" Earth states??	Monaco?  Oh
wait, that's probably in the FSE.  We've got the
Swiss. . . The Swiss. . . and the Swiss.  Or are you
counting the PAU, IC, OU, ScanFed, and IFed?

John

Prev: Re: The GZGverse UN Next: Re: The GZGverse UN