Prev: Re: Fighter Jet Laser Next: Re: UN in 2183

Re: UN in 2183

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 07:05:01 -0400
Subject: Re: UN in 2183

> [Tomb] Neither are the Savasku or the
> Kra'Vak. Call them minor powers at  your
> peril, friend.

"Warships of the Major Powers:2183", it says.  I don't think the SV
and KV qualified because we didn't really know about them at that
point.

> fewer Americans might (because American
> patriotism is probably more entrenched -

According to my wife (who is a Canadian living in America), patriotism
is definitely stronger in America..

> not that I'm judging that in one way or
> another). I also think a lot of business
> types might move to UN based companies,
> etc if there were economic incentives.

<g> You meant "AE" rather than "UN" here, I think.

> growth options for their colonies. And if
> they can cherry pick some of the best

I can easily see nations passing laws that severely restrict the
ability to leave the contry or to send your money outside.  Some of
these laws are already in place in 2002.  As people become
increasingly able to telecommute, and as the present day First World
countries continue to decline, I think we'll see more and more effort
to prevent brain drain.  This may be one of the factors that drives
colonization--"You can't leave the FSE but we're opening a new planet,
all the conveniences of home and you can pick a spot that has no
neighbors within 20km if you like."

 and