Prev: Re: Beer crates, again... Next: RE: Beer Crates!

UN in 2183

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 04:12:56 -0400
Subject: UN in 2183

Chris said:
hm....I don't see that.  Partly because I
don't see the UN
having that big a tax base (big, but not
bigger than NAC or
ESU), and partially because they're not in
FB1: The Major
Powers.   Call them The Largest of the
Minor Powers, if you
want to irritate the Secretary General.

[Tomb] Neither are the Savasku or the
Kra'Vak. Call them minor powers at  your
peril, friend.

I don't actually think there's a lot of
difference between
the TomB-verse UN and mine--it's mainly a
matter of the
actual (not necessarily professed) motives
of the people at
the top, and what UNBOSS does to
dissidents.

[Tomb] It may also have to do with the
efficiency with which the job gets done.
The UNSIA also tends to remove
"problems", just perhaps my definition of a
problem is a bit less open. To me, the UN
is one path for humanity - the path to
Global (and in the long term, sphere-wide)
Government. That brings with it a
uniformity of law (in theory), just
administration (though "just what?" might
be asked), and a coordinating point for
things of large scope and a great equalizer
of opportunity economically and under the
law. OTOH, it is a great equalizer with
what that entails, and it is also a
bureaucratic nightmare. And it sometimes
gets carried away with its "great mission to
save humanity" and thus loses sight of
what it means to be a human being. I think
my UN fits with Jon's "no white hats". Or in
this case, they wear them and try to
convince themselves (and others) that they
really are the good guys.

[Tomb] And I probably have a vision of a
UN with more tax base than either Chris or
John. And I also happen to think that if
there was a workable way to be a citizen of
humanity (esp if it came with some tax
shelters for research corporations, etc),
you'd find more than a few people willing to
consider it. A lot of the smart people from
the developing world for example, who,
given opportunity, could well shine as
bright or brighter than their major nation
counterparts. I'm a Canadian, and if I had a
chance to go out and stand up for the
entire populated world against external
threats, and be offered citizenship of some
sort of supranation, I'd surely consider it.
Maybe I'm alone, but I think not. I think
fewer Americans might (because American
patriotism is probably more entrenched -
not that I'm judging that in one way or
another). I also think a lot of business
types might move to UN based companies,
etc if there were economic incentives. Look
at how many people move their banking
offshore nowadays. And I think once the
UN has some planetspace, they can
encourage some agressive population
growth options for their colonies. And if
they can cherry pick some of the best and
brightest from all the other blocks, they're
well setup.

[Tomb] I don't believe they can match any
major power on the ground - I don't think
they have the scope of ground force
required to think of it, and they are
probably a bit light in supporting arms
(main force being Marine in nature or
mercenary which is usually light
mechanized). But in space, where they
have concentrated and have some neat
tech toys, I rate them as a match to one of
the big boys. Maybe not in raw numbers,
but in combat power (this makes some
guestimates on the power of some of their
systems in the next FT product). So, they
aren't quite a major power, nor a minor,
but something in between.

PS - Thanks to Brian for the immortalizing
in cardboard crating. You need to have a
packing crate for "Impact Point
Games(TM)". Contains hazardous materials
of course! And Chris, your suggestion of
Booze Raider as a scenario idea is just bad
enough to have me try it out. I have a
whole pile of 25mm Cantina style bar
settings, a big cantina band, etc. Mos
Eisley might become Mos Tuffley and
feature some of Brian's crating.

Too much fun! (Just like Star Fleet
Command 2 which I just got running - SFB
on computer!)
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: Beer crates, again... Next: RE: Beer Crates!