Prev: The GZGverse UN Next: Evil.

Re: The GZGverse UN

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:17:17 -0400
Subject: Re: The GZGverse UN

> This probably rightly resides over on the gzg-
> hist list, but that's been fairly quiet

There's a gzg-hist list?

> To Chris, I think the UNSC
> represents a large, well-meaning, but essentially
> paternalistic (and perhaps downright evil in
> some ways) Big Government.

Rather more like the Stalinist Soviet Union, with more subtlety, a
better grasp of economics, and better propaganda writers.  On to....

> The UN in the TombVerse(TM)
>significance of this tax base should be lost on no one

ie the UN will, at least sometimes, act so as to benefit itself rather
than to carry out its purpose.

> long service professionals. The UN also overseas

"oversees"

> Imperial Research Stations). I rate the UN
> militarily as larger than any 1 power (even the
> ESU or the NAC)

hm....I don't see that.  Partly because I don't see the UN having that
big a tax base (big, but not bigger than NAC or ESU), and partially
because they're not in FB1: The Major Powers.	Call them The Largest
of the Minor Powers, if you want to irritate the Secretary General.

> Their delivery, though not perfect, has been
> sufficient so far, although it has failed here and
> there in loud, ugly ways. And of course, there
> are still those who oppose large world
> government just in principle (Alarishi Empire
> and many other small fringist groups

I'd imagine the entire Outer Rim Coalition is irritated at the UN by
the time the KV invasion is in full swing.  Of course, that's probably
a lot fewer people than there were before the invasion.

I don't actually think there's a lot of difference between the
TomB-verse UN and mine--it's mainly a matter of the actual (not
necessarily professed) motives of the people at the top, and what

Prev: The GZGverse UN Next: Evil.