Prev: Re: {SGII} UNSC TOE Next: Re: {SGII} UNSC TOE

Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 13:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

--- Edward Lipsett <translation@intercomltd.com>
wrote:

> Upon reading that line, my immediate question is
> "Why is it possible to do
> so?" An interlock would cost maybe US$10 and solve
> any safety problem.
> This is a common design philosophy error in
> designing industrial machinery
> of all kinds.

Uhhh. . . because when you're trying to unass under
combat conditions (why won't the ramp work?  Who
knows?	I've had ramps fail to drop for at least 4
different reasons, two of which could not be worked
around in the field without access to spare parts)
then Joe Dumb Private will manage to dick up your
fancy interlock (or hit it with his helmet-encased
head moving quick-fast when the lunatic driver hits a
bump going well more than the speed limit[1]) then the
entire squad dies because the vehicle is parked for 5
minutes while they try to figure it out.

KISS.  If an design team forgets that principle,
people DIE in this line of work.

Besides, some wiseass NCO would probably disable your
interlock (failing all else, using the 8-lb sledge
method) the first time he saw it.

John

[1]Yes, there's a speed limit in maneuver areas.  No,
it's not generally observed.

Prev: Re: {SGII} UNSC TOE Next: Re: {SGII} UNSC TOE