Prev: Re: {SGII} UNSC TOE Next: Re: {SGII} UNSC TOE

Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:51:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:

> Well... as long as "where the FDC tells it" is an
> area some 50-100 meters
> wide, anyway <g> At least that's what the active US
> and British
> artillerymen I've talked to/listened in on recently
> claim :-/

Talk to Don.  He's the cannon-cocker here.

But since we're talking about Dirtside II where
50-100m is .5-1" it's fairly trivial.

> >FDC is an AI nowdays.  What's left is the primary
> cause of artillery not
> >hitting the target in
> >any era:  Spotter Error.  However, with GPS in
> every helmet and laser
> >rangefinders on every rifle, then that is reduced.
>
> ...and with even weak GPS jammers built by
> off-the-shelf radio components,
> or distributed by enemy artillery, it goes back up
> again ;-)

Inertial Trackers as an idiot-proof backup to your
GPS. . .

> > >3) Can vehicles alone close assault infantry? If
> not, why not?
> >
> >I'm inclined to say NO, because it's called
> Infantry Close Assault.  But
> >it doesn't say so.
>
> How would you do an overrun attack by vehicles
> against infantry in SGII?

I would't do it in Dirtside, that's for sure.

Personally, modern infantry have nasty, sharp, pointy
teeth inside about 300m so any tanker that tries to
get that close to people with modern AT weapons should
just be ruled dead of terminal stupidity.  Game-wise,
the infantry should take a confidence check at about a
-1 to not suffer panzer shock, and then get a chance
to fire _every_ antiarmor weapon they have at the
tank, and their machinguns at the TC if he's dumb
enough to stick his head out the turret.

Then treat it as a close combat where the machineguns
get to roll as individual infantrymen while the
infantry guys get to use IAVRs only.  If they run out
of IAVRs, then they automatically fail all confidence
checks and run like hell.

> >My question would be WHY?  There's no benefit that
> >shooting at them with IAVRs wouldn't bring.
>
> Because you're one of those players who keep track
> of the number of IAVRs
> used, and you have run out of them?

If you play DSII with a significant amount (3+
platoons) of infantry and you keep track of IAVRs
individually, you're what's called
"Obsessive-Compulsive" and I can only recommend a long
session of therapy.  Especially considering that
according the the dumb grunt reading over my shoulder,
a 4-man fireteam of 'Merican infantry could easily be
carrying 8 AT-4s without breaking a sweat.

John

Prev: Re: {SGII} UNSC TOE Next: Re: {SGII} UNSC TOE