Prev: Re: UNSC TO&E Next: RE: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!

[FT] Missile magazines

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:42:57 +0100
Subject: [FT] Missile magazines

Just curious...

Does anyone build ships with multiple SM magazines are a regular thing?

I've been looking through my ship catalogue. I have a total of 18 ships
with more than one SM launcher: of these, only two (Eli Arndt's
mass-267 _Wotan_ and David Briedis' mass-800 _Dreadnought_) carry
multiple magazines. The arguments would seem clear:

pro multiple mag:

- better resistance to magazine damage

anti multiple mag:

- greater flexibility
- if one launcher is damaged, the mag is still useful
- easier to get a mass per mag that's a multiple of 6

By my rough calculations, a ship with 2 SMLs and 2 magazines has a 91%
chance of having at least one SML firable with ammunication after a
level-1 threshold check; with one magazine, that drops to 81%. Clearly,
people don't think it's worth it. But are there dissenting opinions?

Prev: Re: UNSC TO&E Next: RE: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!