Prev: Re: [SG] The Tuffley 500 Next: Re: 100 Kingdoms miniatures

Re: [SG] UNSCMC Interface Company TO&E

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 00:21:01 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] UNSCMC Interface Company TO&E

Hi,

It's a good TO&E, particularly for a first attempt.

You're tending toward giving them the best of everything (great guns,
great
sensors, great armour, etc), but that's ok as long as your opponents
don't
mind.

>Following is the TO&E that I have written for an UNSCMC company that =
>would be used for operations requiring direct orbital insertion or any
=
>other tasks requiring an airmobile force.  This is the first TO&EW i've
=
>written, so advice/comments from all of you more experienced would be =
>greatly appreciated.

Are these people supposed to be "special operations" type troops, or
just
good quality regulars?	Does the company operate on its own in limited
operations, or is it supposed to work as part of a battalion battle
group
or brigade structure?

These have bearings on logistics.  You don't have a "supply section" or
"quartermaster" section or something equivalent, so it would seem that
this
force is going in with just what they're carrying, and relying on the
VTOL's for resupply.

That's ok, but as I point out below, there might be concerns with having
so
many mortars, for example.

>Morter Section
>4 tubes with 2 crew each  What size morter would be appropriate?
>Transported in 2 AV-6's

that's a lot of mortars for a company.	lots of ammo to cart around, and
depending on how heavy the equipment is, if there are only 2 crew per
tube,
with the weight of the weapons, ammo, and their personal gear, they
probably won't be able to carry much ammo.

if the rest of the unit is carrying more for them then that a bit less
of a
problem, but it seems to me that you'd have ammo problems.

you might get more mileage out of having maybe two tubes between the 8
guys, then they can carry more ammo and still be "independent" of the
rest
of the company.  well, sort of.

>3 x Rifle Squads
>Squad Leaderm, Marine w/ AGL, Marine w/ SPW 82 (FP:d10, IP:d12*), 3 =
>Marines
>Transported in an AV-6

The "SPW82" has d12* impact?  That's better than the AGL from the
Stargrunt
rulebook.  Why bother with the AGL and all the extra ammo it requires,
etc.

An AGL gets FPd12, Impact d8*, giving pretty good anti infantry and a
slight anti armour capability.	Your SPW82 has slightly lower firepower,
but not *that* much lower, and the significantly better impact balances
the
firepower.

>From a logistical point of view, the AGL isn't really adding anything
but
another type of ammo to carry.

If you wanted to have two support weapons in each squad, give them two
SPW82's - they are better anyway, and then you'd have ammo commonality.

Personlly, I think that your SAW-type weapon shouldn't have an armour
penetration rating that high.  It is as good as a guided missile, and
that
seems a bit much.

Leaving the squad structure the same, I'd say carry the AGL and the
SPW82,
but limit the '82 to d12 impact, rather than d12*

It still means you have *really* powerful units, much more powerful than
those in the Stargrunt rules, but if that floats your boat... :)

>Stats for AV-6:
>Size 2, Armor 1, Chin turret GAC/1 w/ Enh Firecon, Enh ECM, Space for 7
=
>Marines

why not have this as a size 3 vehicle with the same loadout, and have
space
for more troopers.  maybe boost your 3 rifle squads to 8 infantry (2
more
riflemen) so they aren't quite so brittle, and put your mortar section
into
one VTOL...

>Stats for AV-9
>Size 3, Armor 1 (is 2 allowed?), Chin turret GAC/1, 2 Fixed GAC/1, 2 =
>GMS/H, all firecons superior, Sup ECM

I don't believe you can have Armour 2 on a VTOL, though I can't actually
find anything in the rules to support that, at a quick glance...

Adrian Johnson

Prev: Re: [SG] The Tuffley 500 Next: Re: 100 Kingdoms miniatures