Prev: RE: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

[SG] [DS] Mr. Atkinson's feedback :)

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:56:16 -0400
Subject: [SG] [DS] Mr. Atkinson's feedback :)

1) John, what's a reasonable separation for two
platoons of IFVs (part of the same infantry
company) on the move? I would have thought
two lines, each containing 3 vehicles, with 200m
horizontal spacing, 100m vertical (along the
axis of attack) spacing was enough. Perhaps
I'm way short? It was this configuration which
allowed the 400m artillery diameter to cream
the crap out of the APCs. Anyone else care to
venture or produce an FM reference? At some
point you exceed the range of mutual support.
Before I blame the manouver commander for
his incompetence, I should have some idea how
to advise him for following games.

2) Also, something else bothers me a bit in
DS2. Why is all artillery a 2" burst radius? Yes, it
has different chit draws. But the point of some
artillery types is coverage. (example: MRLS).
Standard tube artillery (esp using ToT) can put
down excellent pinpoint fire. But MRLS give area
coverage. But all artillery is a 2" burst radius in
DS. (In SG, areas being grossly restricted for
some types, they at least capture this
distinction between small area booms and big
area booms).

3) Why can't I call artillery down on a grid
reference? Obviously the game doesn't have
rules, but pre-registered fire points on GPS'd
map coordinates hardly seems impossible
today. And if we assume you can see anything
on the board from recon drones, satellites, etc,
and you don't actually need to do spotting of
units and then IDing and then artillery calls, then
we'd quickly see the force compositions of DS
forces being ten hover jeeps or grav bikes with
artillery spotters and a huge whopping pile of
artillery (at least for defenses or meeting
engagements). Artillery alone if used in quantity
is effective enough to ruins someone's day.

4) IAVRs in SG2 are underpowered, like GMS/P.
Concur.

5) Why would you want to close assault a tank
unit with infantry in DS2? If you force the unit to
make a reaction test, they may withdraw. This
gives you the position for free. Plus you may
not have IAVR equipped troops. (Militia, irregs,
etc).

6) I find DS2 CA interesting. You don't seem to
get good defensive reaction test mods for
being in position or for having armour or for
having PA. You get penalized for being attacked
by PA, but not for defending with it. Odd.
Seems to me PA is fairly effective in SG2 in
either case.....

7) Debarking a vehicle under attack. John
seemed to take both sides of the fence. (He
didn't, it just seemed that way). He says
basically you wouldn't get out under
machinegun fire, but if the vehicle was alight or
the GEV lost cushion and went crunch into the
ground, he'd be out like a flash. But then again,
since the driver controls the ramps, he might
have a hard time getting out. Oh, and someone
is shooting a machinegun...?

I guess what he was suggesting (correct me if
I'm wrong in your oh so gentle manner *grin*,
John) is that there are some things that inhibit
your desire to get out and some things which
enhance it. Would it be possible to create a list
of modifiers that should apply, I wonder?
Getting shot at drops the TL, having a disabled
vehicle ups the TL, etc. And should debarkation
take more game time if the driver is dead
(can't throw open the ramp)? And we talk
about a dead crewman (killed by spall), but we
won't unass, unless of course there is also a
fire, etc. How do we relate this to known vehicle
states in SG2? (Immobilized, Disabled,
Destroyed, Systems Down)?

8) I hate mixed mobility forces too. Don't yet
have quite enough GEV minis. And still trying to
figure out how to do GEV CEVs that make
sense. OTOH, the minute you throw in transport
vehicles, engineers, etc, don't you kind of
automatically get mixed mobility types?

9) DS2 has no quality roll for spotting (well, it
does, in that you call the arty, but it either
arrives on target or doesn't come at all). Even
today, we see US Spec Ops blown up by their
own air support and Canadian troops nuked by
USAF. Now, I'm not trying to raise any sort of
spectre here, but the point I'm making is the
DS2 rules seem fratricide free. Perhaps this will
be the case in 200 years. I have much less faith
than the author on this one. Doubly so as a
former grunt who was usually likely to be on the
receiving end of any errors.

10) There is no ten. Carry on with the day's
training.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: RE: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!