Prev: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions Next: Atlanta WarRoom Re: Found this just now and thought I'd share...

Re: Another APC question...

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:35:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Another APC question...

At 1:23 PM -0600 7/16/02, B Lin wrote:
>Just wondering - in modern APC's does the squad commander sit
>towards the front, near the vehicle commander or does he usually sit
>nearest the exit (i.e. first out)

Depends on doctrine. Some put the Squad commander in the turret. Some
put him behind the driver with the vehicle having it's own commander,
others put him in the back of the vehicle.

>In helicopters and such there is an intercom system that the squad
>leader is plugged into to get info from the pilots, is there an
>equivalent system in an APC?

Generally. The 60's era british APCs had facilities for a squad
commander's headset and radio control box in the back of the APC. He
could talk on the IC function or one of the 3 radios depending on a
control position. I don't think that all passengers in the APC have
intercom capability, though it would be a good idea.

Futurewise, one would have wireless headsets like in hammer's
slammers that every person in the vehicle could talk on for better
situational control and awareness. The Commanders and perhaps the
gunners would have the special control boxes that allow for their
transmitting on the vehicle's radio system vs the short range squad
tactical net the crunchies would have.

>Do most APC's have windows/viewports/external cameras that the squad
>leader/squad can use?

It's been pretty heavily touted in the MV magazines that follow the
industry that some means of looking out is majorly important for the
crew so they have an idea of where the heck they are when they debuss.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions Next: Atlanta WarRoom Re: Found this just now and thought I'd share...