Prev: Re: [SG] more ww2 Next: [SG] Stargrunt WW2

bullets and stuff Re: [SG] more ww2

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:19:49 -0400
Subject: bullets and stuff Re: [SG] more ww2

At 4:34 PM -0400 7/15/02, Flak Magnet wrote:

>The context of my comments was in reference to the Secret Service,
which
>is not a traditionl military situation.  Thus the PDW is something I
>agree with, but it wasn't something I had brought up.

With the context of the SS. The amount of firepower in a 9mm subgun
of that era does make sense. Given their role and job, something with
burst capability and compact size is important.

>You're preaching stridently to the choir on that one.	Not that I
>mentioned "when trying to aim center-mass".  When considering what
round
>you want, you'll have to consider where you want to put it.
Center-mass
>gets my vote... It's the biggest target, thus the easiest to hit.  I'll
>leave the head-shots to people with the long-guns, sights and lots of
>skill.

But then smaller rounds are easier to get on target than big dirty
harry type .44 mag rounds. I feel like 9mm fits my bill. I can
comfortably shoot it and get good follow up shots (not quite double
taps) in the same group.

>No argument there.  But in the setting we're talking about (Secret
>Service), select targets may need to be engaged within a crowd, and
cost
>is not really an obstacle as the number of people to be equipped with
>SMGs is somewhat limited, I see MP5s and other SMG overtaking cheaper,
>open-bolt, blow-back operated SMG's pretty handily.

Likely the SMG is meant as the role of support weapon in a combat
situation. Likely they've converted to something newer and nicer.
Closed bolt smg's are expensive and hard to get.

Someday I'll be getting a sterling. That will be my SMG of choice
based on reliability, attainability and cost. A closed Bolt MG5 can
be had, but they are way too $$$ for my needs and desires.

>Silvertips... those are the Black Talons that didn't get painted black,
>aren't they?  *grin*

;-p

Nickel plated jacket I think. They look nicer than the copper ones
and I like the load in the gun. The 125 grain loads seem to be good.
I was trying the 147 grain loads but I got occasional fail to feeds.

>All I can say it, now that I'm out of the service, I really wish I had
>your gun collection.  Particularly now that you mentioned the fact that
>your mossberg has bayonet lugs in a later message!  Whoohoo!

It seems to make sense for a home defense weapon. One of the contexts
of home defense is that if you stop the burglar, what do you do with
him if he surrenders? The bayonet seemed the best way of making him
stay put until the cavalry gets there.
--
  Ryan Gill		 rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
  '60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: [SG] more ww2 Next: [SG] Stargrunt WW2