Prev: Re: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions... Next: Re: [SG] more ww2

Re: [SG] more ww2

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:56:37 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] more ww2

At 11:49 AM -0400 7/15/02, Flak Magnet wrote:

>I don't like the selection of the 9mmNATO round as a "manstopper".
>Actually, any FMJ or ball round that goes at supersonic speeds seems
>like a bad idea to me.  Anything going that fast that isn't designed to
>"mushroom" or otherwise tranfer energy to the wound instead of carry it
>out the other side of the target is a bad choice IMO.	I'm presuming
>that's what was fired in the UZI's carried boy our SecretService,
right?

This is flat out wrong. Any round will mushroom given the right set
of circumstances. Those circumstances are the velocity, sectional
density, mass of the bullet, target size, target density, etc.

A large heavy slow bullet will deform and mushroom in a big animal. A
larger flat nosed bullet takes longer to deform than a smaller
lighter hollow point.  But it will deform. It is simply a matter of
the design of the bullet being applied to the correct target type.

Small bullets that are traveling at high velocities tend to fragment
when they yaw. A 7mm Remington Magnum at larger speeds is a good
example of this. Big case, moderate sized bullet. Bullet design can
enhance or decrease the fragmentary nature as well as the bullet's
tendency to yaw when striking a target.

The use of hallow points in police/self defensive type applications
assumes the target isn't wearing armor. Additionally, International
agreements (that we abide by, but aren't signatory to) preclude their
use in military applications.

FMJ ammo tends to have less feeding issues than hollow point ammo in
certain firearms. Designers have compensated for the use of either
subsonic heavier loads in their weapons or in the use of different
bullet shapes affecting the cycling or correct feeding of ammo in
their weapons. It depends on the weapon and the designers.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions... Next: Re: [SG] more ww2