Prev: Re: The new US Army APC the "Stinger" (Stryker) Next: Re: The new US Army APC the "Stinger" (Stryker)

Re: [SG/DS] Unit Size Definitions

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 19:05:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [SG/DS] Unit Size Definitions

--- Germ <germ@germy.co.uk> wrote:
> > I had sort of just reverted to remembering "most
> do it look that, except
> the
> > Brits who always have to be different..." ;)
> > Beth
>
> Funny, I thought it was those rebelious colonies
> that had to be different ;)

Yeah.

If you Brits had a consistent system, then that would
be an acceptable way of phrasing it.  But with the
changes in your structure, plus the names vs. numbers
issue, amalgamations (no US unit has ever been saddled
with a designation like "17/21st Lancers"), plus
stupidities like every Brit Royal Artillery battalion
being part of the same regiment while most infantry
units are single-bat, etc, etc, etc it's safe to say
"The Brits have to be different".

The modern US usage is rather closer to Brit
Napoleonic usage than the modern Brit usage.

John

Prev: Re: The new US Army APC the "Stinger" (Stryker) Next: Re: The new US Army APC the "Stinger" (Stryker)