Prev: RE: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger Next: ATVs

Manufacturing creep, was RE: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:00:56 -0400
Subject: Manufacturing creep, was RE: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger

At 3:47 PM -0600 7/1/02, B Lin wrote:

>This is where the politics come in, the politician, having an
>interest in the shipyard will try to pad the numbers for either more
>ships or longer commitments to benefit the shipyard.  Single or
>limited run production would be limited to experimental prototypes
>or specially modified units that cost much more than the standard
>item.

In the Real world there is a benefit to keeping a production line
running for 10 years on 10 ships vs just building one in one year.
You maintain the knowledge base of the folks that are able to perform
the highly technical labor and you can have it passed from one work
force generation to another in 10 years.

The same applies to the slips and the manufacturing capability. If
the US tried to build large armored vessels on the scale of the
Iowas, we'd have to rebuild the armor industry from scratch as well
as a number of other segments of the major industries. Britian is
currently lacking for a slip capable of building a full sized carrier
as they've sold off those facilities for conversion to ocean front
property (or something else). They're going to have to try building a
Carrier from modular components. So far that works with DDs. Perhaps
it will work with a CV.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RE: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger Next: ATVs