Prev: Re: Incredible Regenerating Elder Races Next: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo

Re: [OT] Linking Ammo

From: "Scott Watts" <scottwatts@c...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 06:58:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo

Must be the new Army or something. 25 years ago in the US Navy we linked
 by
hand (usually for splicing two partial belts together) and had a hand
operated press for making up longer belts. You laid the links on a tray
that
had troughs in it, and rounds parallel to the links, then the press
pushed
the rounds through the links. Then we moved the belt over and linked to
the
belt end. I seem to remember like seven or eight 7.62 rounds could be
processed at a time and the .50 cal like two or four.

Granted, it wasn't an everyday thing, but we did do it.

Had one moron one time take two partial belts of 20mm and try to relink
them. If you think of the links as two halves on a door hinge, the round
is
the hinge pin. The round doesn't want to slide in, so said moron grabs
an
open end wrench and starts pounding on the round "around that like flat
spot
with the dimply thing in the middle?".

The predictable thing happened. Moron hits the primer and POW! Big
Firecracker!

>Given their nature, I'd be surprised to find that there is a compact
>hand-cranked machine to "build" a belt of ammo out of un-sorted links
>and boxes of ammo.  Like Mr. Atkinson, I never saw one, and never had
">build" belts of ammo from unlinked rounds.

>Note that the description of the links applies to ammo used in the M-2
>(.50cal Browning MG), M-60, M-249"SAW" and M-240.  Probably applies to
>others, but those are outside of my personal experience.

typewriters, and email	is NOTHING like Shakespeare.