Prev: RECOIL? WOT RCOIL? Next: Poisoning the Savasku

AFV Driving was RE: Titanium snails

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:03:52 -0400
Subject: AFV Driving was RE: Titanium snails

At 8:10 AM -0700 6/28/02, John Atkinson wrote:
>--- Michael Brown <mwbrown@sonic.net> wrote:
>>  A "T" bar.	Like steering a bicycle.  On the M-1 the
>>  throttle is on the T-bar
>
>I can vouch for that on the M-48/-60 series stuff.
>T-bar controls how much power goes to each track.
>Gearshift on the floor to the driver's right, plus
>emergency brake and lever to engage the PTO shaft (not
>found on stock tanks without big massive hyd fluid
>tanks to operate tongue).

The US seems to really favor the T-Bar as a method of control. The
M114's have them as well.

This fellow has a very nicely restored M114. There are some good
photo's of the inside.

Scorpions have an odd control arrangement of levers as I recall. The
strange thing being that braking force changes based on the gear
ratio that you have. They are tricky in turns when you change gears
as the turn radius will get larger on you at lower ratios. However,
once you get used to that, I've read that they are a dream to drive
and are pretty fast for armor.
See http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/lsm/dhmg/scorpion.html
(this of course goes for the entire CVR(T) family:
Scorpion/Scimitar/Striker/ Samaritan/Sampson/Spartan)

http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/church/church1.html
this shows a great view of the drivers position on a Churchill tank.
Note the double tiller bar (sort of like the US T bar arrangement)

(Hopefully, I'll get some drivers time with one of these at the Alan
Cors Tank day event. I've got the uniform kit ready to go)

Here's a Centurion AVRE
http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/centavre/centavr2.html
This has the more traditional levers on either side of the driver and
the dual foot pedals/central gear shifter.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RECOIL? WOT RCOIL? Next: Poisoning the Savasku