Prev: 10 mm moderns Next: Re: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature

Re: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:58:31 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature

Phillip Atcliffe schrieb:
> And then there are the "sports", generally caused by some
> iggorant politician, e.g., the SR-71 which was given that
> designation after LBJ (I think) messed up the correct version in a
national
> broadcast and  no-one was game to contradict him... And it has to be
> said that the Pentagon is not as rigorous about this as it perhaps
> might be.

Another one is the F-117 Stealth 'Fighter', which has no air-to-air
capability at all and by right should have an 'attack' or 'bomber'
designation. Not sure whether this was chosen for security reasons or
because a 'fighter' is sexier than a mud-mover.

Greetings

Prev: 10 mm moderns Next: Re: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature