Prev: RE: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature

[OT] USAF plane nomenclature

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 00:23:08 -0400
Subject: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature

Hi guys,

Drawing upon the collected wit of the body.

I see some USAF planes tagged with F (F-15, F-
16, etc), some with F/A, some with VF, etc.

What do these mean? I'm guessing F is for
fighter, B is for bomber, V is a qualifier
meaning Vertol or Vectored thrust... but what
are some of the others like the /A?

And what's the Osprey? A VT-22 ? (T for
Transport?)

Is X experimental?

And what kind of tags get stuck on CAS planes
like the Warthog (A for attack)? Didn't the
Sandy's (from Nam era) have a different sort of
designator?

I further assume H (as in Huey UH1H) is
helicopter, U perhaps univeral? And the A in AH-
64 is attack helicopter?

Am I even playing in the right ballpark? :)

(I ask because I'm thinking about CAS and
tactical transport planes like A-10s and
tiltrotors like the Osprey or the QTR in the
context of SG2 and DS2).

T.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: RE: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature