Prev: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:38:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

--- Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

> What I meant was you wouldn't want to use heavy
> weapons with wide area of
> effect (big bang) if you're going to be close to the
> spot yourself, and
> that's why you'd have small "bang" ammo too. Thus it
> wasn't the size of the
> delivery system that matter just the end "bang" and
> whether it coincided
> with what was in your best interests of the moment.
> For example, you're not
> going to want something with a 50m radius of effect
> if you're going to be
> within 20m when you use it etc.

OK, so you're saying that if your riflemen are 100m
from the enemy, they just swap warheads and all of a
sudden every one of them is lobbing mortar round
equivelants?

> > Back?  Medes and Persians overruning Babylon?
>
> I was thinking of the general lay out of the towns
> and cities and their
> nature rather than any particular historical event,
> but that is the period
> I'm thinking about.

OK.

> > Actually, most nerve agents are non-persistant (6
> > hours or less) and anyway, can be tailored to not
> > really bother humans that much.
>
> In our atmosphere, when there are floating clouds of
> algae that concentrate
> and sequester things from the atmosphere and then
> (potentially) excrete it
> later you may just have added something long term to
> the biome. You may be

Nerve agents break down with sunlight and moisture.
But at any rate, it sounds like I'd not particularly
want this crummy planet in the first place unless
there's a really, really strong reason to take it.

And then I'm just about ready to drop rocks on it to
deal with the damn biosphere and to hell with the
humans.

The other option is to find some torqued-off locals
who are willing to sell their sovreignty for a mess of
pottage (and foolish enough to believe that assistance
comes with no strings attached) and use them as local
guides.

> Yes and no. There will be things that can keep them
> at bay (and these are
> known to the local human inhabitants), but as
> they're alien bugs who've been
> in contact with humans for 400 yrs now their
> resistant to any insecticides
> from the Terran sphere that ever worked on them in
> the first place. However,
> as the locals do know the solutions which kill them
> (and how quickly you
> must cycle components due to the generation time of
> these critters) you
> intel guys could probably get it sorted given a
> little time. Hopefully they
> won't bioaccumulate or sequester your nerve agents
> while you're waiting to
> find the one that works on them ;)

Well, if my advance agents can walk into the corner
drugstore and buy a bottle of OFF-equivelant, then I'm
good.

If every little old lady has their own recipie I may
have to apply some interrogation techniques.

John

Prev: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers