Prev: Re: Patrol vs. the Cave Dudes Next: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo

RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:26:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

--- Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:
> G'day,
>
> > Are you talking about mortars and missles??
>
> All built on the same theme, external disc, central
> payload... sounds weird
> I know ;)

Same caliber??	That defeats the purpose of alleged
"heavy" weapons.

> Assuming said invader is from a different planet and
> superior enough to pull

Hell, no.  In fact, they'd be a prime target of
bandits and raiders.

> with a few million population. I do have centres but
> think Persian set-ups
> of towns/cities (or even Aussie outback homesteads)
> not modern megacities.

Which Persians?

The ones Basileus Alexander rode through?  I'll have
to try that some time. . .

> On top of that the planet itself is often enough
> protection, you put a foot
> wrong you may not have much of a foot left so to
> speak ;)

My inclination would be drop nerve gas all over the
place.

> Not unless you can speak Tangelo.... we're run by
> historians you know, we
> know how the US beat the enemy code breakers of WWII
> ;)

Tangelo?  Isn't that a fruit?  Unless it's as nasty as
Basque or Navajo to learn, we'll have some polyglot on
it and figure it out in short time.  Plus we got
plenty of those high-speed analysis AIs that you've
got running your TACFIRE nets running linguistic and
crypto analysis.  :)

> >> That's why specific family lines are tasked with
> >> maintaining them in my fictional setting.
> >
> > ??? Please explain.
>
> Specific xandan (families... and at this point I
> will profusely apologise to
> all the Persian speakers in the audience for
> massacring their language!)

If there's one, I'd be surprised.

If there were 2, I might faint away in surprise.

> have certain duties within their daste (squad). So
> one xandan is tasked with
> maintaining the PA, others with being medics or
> mechanics or radiomen etc.

O Kyrie!

It's not a militia, it's a verdammt feudal bleedin'
levy!  This is getting more interesting all the time.

Someday you'll have to write up all this background so
I get it in more than bits and pieces!

> > Military equipment eats POL....
>
> Do the weapons though? Pack animals are a big must

Small arms do need lubricated regularly.

> in this setting, that and
> gliders so I'm less concerned with vehicles - or
> lots of vehicles at any
> rate... savar's (fast-riders who risk their own
> death to get messages
> through) are heroes, but they're also volunteers and
> usually from rather
> "weird" xandan.

Grav tanks.  Definitely need grav tanks.  :)

> > You have critters that can kill a tank?
>
> Yep, in fact there are a few different kinds that
> work in different ways,
> that's why you REALLY don't want to attract them ;)

Gotta find some high-speed subsonic dohicky that
drives them all nuts and sends them fleeing.

Or maybe a vehicle coating that smells like the musk
of the biggest, meanest predator on the planet.  That
way we only have to deal with their amorous or
territorial inclinations rather than everyone's silly
ideas about trying to eat composite alloys.

John

Prev: Re: Patrol vs. the Cave Dudes Next: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo