Prev: Re: JUNGLE PATROL Next: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:44:25 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

johnmatkinson@yahoo.com wrote:
> Uhhh, your civillians use frequency-hopping encrypted
> radios??  Compatible with your military commo nets??
>
> You just made my intel guy's day.  They'll send a spy
> into the corner store, buy one, break it down and
> analyze it, and all of a sudden I'm listening to every
> transmission you make.  Wooo-hooo!
>
> And since I send people to prison for misplacing
> COMSEC equipment, you AREN'T listening to mine.

There's a saying in the computer industry,
"Security by obscurity isn't".	If your equipment can't
handle inspection by the enemy then it is pretty
worthless.  It will eventually all boil down to good
software encryption.  If I have a public/private key
setup equivalent to what we can do today my military
equipment can be compatible with my civilian equipment
and everything will be wonderful.  I key in the public
keys of the units I want to talk to and the communication
is secure.

The problem is most governments don't want their civilians
to have truly secure communications.

Prev: Re: JUNGLE PATROL Next: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers