Prev: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock Next: OPERATION NIGHTMARE

Re: Enemy Appreciations and SOPs

From: Control Robot <cqin@e...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 19:02:40 -0600
Subject: Re: Enemy Appreciations and SOPs

Wow, I can't believe how many emails were generated on this topic just
since
the last time I checked :)

Just in response to all of you guys who said that making assumptions
about
the enemy is dangerous.  Of course, you're all right.  Making your
doctrine
too inflexible would certainly let your enemy take advantage of it.  But
on
the other hand, you still do certainly need guidelines for your troops
about
the operations of both your enemy and yourself.  This is the reason that
armies still do have standardised TO&E's and doctrine, for both
themselves
and their enemies. (just look at all of the US Army's field manuals)  Of
course it should be made very clear to the troops that blindly following
procedures is undesirable, but on the other hand, just "winging it" all
the
time, with no other information, won't do either.

It looks like John A. is replying in a far more in depth manner than I
am
though :)