Prev: Re: JUNGLE PATROL Next: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:37:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

--- Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@magma.ca> wrote:
> Roger makes a good point about the culture
> shock of a Core Worlder going to the Outposts.
>
> Here's one for you:
> Core world greenie LT (think Gorman from
> Aliens plus a touch of real Earther smugness)
> goes to the Outworlds. He thinks he has it all
> covered. Drops his platoon in, then wonders
> where the GPS feed is and when SATINT will be
> available?

Uuuuhhh. . . should be laid by the assault ship before
dropping troops. . .

What? No GPS? No orbital recon
> assets?

How'd he get on-planet?

 No Ortillery? And something in the local

See above?

> atmosphere bollixes up the short range RF
> connections between his weapons sights and
> the combat helmets? How can he run a battle if

And no one briefed him beforehand?  Why not?  Why are
you carrying out an invasion of a planet with no
intel?	Why don't you have an agent inserted onplanet
to tell you all these things?  Why didn't you run some
scans.	Obviously you've got an objective in mind or
you wouldn't drop troops.

> his laptop doesn't show the positions of all of
> his troopers and the telemetry of all their health
> states and ammo loadouts? He'd have to
> SHOUT commands, and maybe even SEND
> runners... and from time to time, he'd have NO
> IDEA where some of his units were or what was
> going on. How could he cope?

Well, given the budgets of most ROTC units, he's
probably just relieved he's not wearing a steel pot.

I've got the outline of a bit of fanfic where a young
LT who did his enlisted time as a Tagmatic scout
trooper ends up commanding a platoon of Akritai on
some rockball.

John

Prev: Re: JUNGLE PATROL Next: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers