Prev: Re: JUNGLE PATROL Next: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:28:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

At 10:09 PM +0200 6/23/02, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:

>And as to fighting with blades against firearms - size isn't of much
>relevance there either ;-)
>And the Japanese used firearms to good effect and in massive numbers in
the
>16th-17th  century

But the point is that the Japanese culture disposed of the use of
firearms in war fair. There is a very good book about this called
Giving up the Gun by Noel Perrin. Ostensibly this was done as a
method of making it harder for upstart warlords to raise effective
fighting forces. There were similar kinds of aversions to crossbows
and firearms in Europe as well, but none of those movement's worked
out.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: JUNGLE PATROL Next: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock