Prev: Re: [OT] Mecha - coming to a forest near you! Next: Re: [OT] Mecha - coming to a forest near you!

Re: [OT] Mecha - coming to a forest near you!

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:56:47 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Mecha - coming to a forest near you!

At 10:54 AM +0900 6/21/02, Edward Lipsett wrote:
>I think the key selling point is reducing damage to the forest...
Presumably
>it would be a little better on extremely bumpy ground, but a 60-ton
tank on
>treads does pretty good, too. Not too healthy for the ground, however.

Ground pressure is going to be far higher than a tracked vehicle.
However, being able to place individual legs over a large log and
ignore said log would be a great benefit to mobitily.

>I'd bet maintenance is worse than treads, and will probably remain
worse no
>matter how much they improve the design.

Well it's going to be all hydraulically controlled and nicely sealed.
Seal the leg joints with heavy rubber boots and unless one is cut and
breached your seals will be pretty safe and dry.

Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |

Prev: Re: [OT] Mecha - coming to a forest near you! Next: Re: [OT] Mecha - coming to a forest near you!