Prev: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom! Next: Re: TABLETOP DEBRIS

Re: TABLETOP DEBRIS

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:08:40 +0100
Subject: Re: TABLETOP DEBRIS

>> Perhaps a small base representing grass and stones in a small
clearing
>(i.e. a
>> "rallying point"). These would be very easy to make. In fact, make
them
>big
>> enough and you could slip the leader figure onto it!
>
>OOH Good idea!
>
>>Geez... this thread has
>> got to be one of the best ones in the last month for SG2. I've got
all
>sorts
>> of neat ideas for doing away with chits!
>
>Ditto.
>
>Regards,
>Bob

Yes, this is excellent, and keep the ideas coming!
I'd be the first to agree that the chits are NOT a perfect solution for
aesthetic reasons, BUT I still think they are better than the
alternatives
in terms of ease of play; in our defence, please note that we do mention
in
SG2 that we acknowledge that some players will object to the visual
effects, and may prefer to use off-table status sheets to either write
the
data or to put the chits on.
If you are willing to go to the trouble of making scenic pieces and
extra
figures to replace the chits, then that's great, and the ideas that have
been put forward over the last couple of days are generally very good -
anyone mind if we nick some of them to put in FMA and other stuff?
One other idea, for those of you suggesting putting labels on the
undersides of figure bases to replace the activation markers - if you do
it
before you punch out the counter sheets (hint: we sell spare counter
sheets!! <grin>) you can probably get the sheet colour xeroxed onto
self-adhesive stock, thus giving you coloured sticker versions of the
chits
to put under your figures' bases. Get a few sheets done at once, and you
can then change the ratings of figures as you need for each game.
Similarly, you could put sticker versions of the lettered or dummy chits
under little terrain features as already discussed, to identify what
they
really represent.

All this aside, I STILL far prefer on-table status marking systems (be
they
chits, figures, BB slugs, whatever) over writing status notes on record
sheets - the latter are FAR to easily overlooked in the heat of
battle.....
"Oh, drat, I forgot that that unit was down to Shaken already - ah well,
too late now...."    ;-)

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom! Next: Re: TABLETOP DEBRIS