Prev: Re: FT-EMP/NEEDLE WEAPONS Next: [DS2] Questions

Re: FT-EMP/NEEDLE WEAPONS

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:51:03 -0400
Subject: Re: FT-EMP/NEEDLE WEAPONS

Re: "ordered scoring of EMP hits"

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@pacbell.net>

> Why not just have a standard way to read the SSD (i.e. left to right,
> top to
> bottom) and roll for the random hit. It would need no addition to
> existing
> material.

This would be preferable to generating lists or grouping systems.
Anything that does not require addition or modification of existing SSDs

is inherently simpler to use. There is possibility for attempts to abuse

the system (whether it would be successful or not) by people customizing

SSD's in very odd ways.

As for Charles' list, Schoon's revision of Bif's provides a spin on 4)
4b) Attacker chooses semi blind.
and
1b) Go through the systems systematically in the above way until N
systems have been affected

I'm not the greatest fan of anything on the list except maybe 1b. I
still the straight threshold - rolling allot of dice for a big ship
doesn't bother me. I'd rather fiddle with the to-hit mechanics than the
effect mechanics

As for needles, unless they can have multi arcs and/or a second range
band, they are largely useless systems in FB-style games. Limiting them
further by blind targeting goes in the opposite direction.

Prev: Re: FT-EMP/NEEDLE WEAPONS Next: [DS2] Questions