Prev: Drop caps and lead rot Next: Re: Dropships and Lead Rot

Re: [OT] Princess Bride and Lead Rot

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:33:34 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Princess Bride and Lead Rot

>On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:24:53 -0400, "Tomb" <tomb@dreammechanics.com>
wrote:

>>Lead Rot: Could a bath in some solution (perhaps slightly acidic or
>>basic?) clean/sanitize the figure? If the figure is cleaned, could it
>>not be painted to prevent a recurrence? Does the rot affect non-lead
>>white metal? It seems there ought to be some recovery possible.
>
>I'm not sure if the lead fixtures the US Navy talk about were painted
or not.
>I do know that I had some significant lead rot on some Star Frontiers
ships. I
>carved out the rotted bits (made it look like battle damage), and
painted the
>figures. I haven't had a problem with them deteriorating further, and
that was
>back in '97 that I painted them.
>
>I think white metal is less of a problem because there is more tin(?)
in the
>mix. Pewter (initially zinc and lead) used to have lead as part of the
>mixture, but apparently now it uses other metals like copper. Of
course, this
>is just a little I found out, and possibly wrong! Jon could probably
give us
>some information on the GZG figure metal mixture, and any experience
he's had
>with lead rot.

We use C90, which is classed as an "English Pewter" and is mostly tin
with
a SMALL percentage of lead and traces of a few other things (antimony,
copper etc IIRC); I've never experienced "rot" problems of any sort with
stuff we cast, but I HAVE seen it a few times on very old, soft-metal
castings from my own collection.

 I'll talk to our metal supplier today if I can and try to find out what
they know about the subject of the lead rot, see if I can get you all
some
professional technical answers.

Jon (GZG)