Prev: Re: TABLETOP DEBRIS Next: Drop caps and lead rot

Drop caps

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 02:57:10 -0400
Subject: Drop caps

Possibly...  You're assuming mismatched
aerodynamics.  I
will note, that in this atmosphere, a
bowling ball and a
feather, the bowling ball comes down
faster.  Yes,
mismatched aerodynamics, but in the other
direction than
yours.	:)

[Tomb] I was thinking more like a lawn
dart and a streamlined plane. The plane
has to carry N persons, the dart but one.
Should it not be possible to arrange better
aerodynamics for the dart?

First statement I won't agree with.  Second
sounds fine...
But also note less fuel...  Specifically I
doubt it has
enough fuel to accelerate and de-
accelerate...  There's also
the fact that at some point, you get a very
ineffieciant way
to ship people down...	Lot of money, mass,
and volume per
pod for little to no advantage.

[Tomb] Less fuel, but it gets a heck of a lot
more delta-vee out of the same kgs of fuel.
Hence I'm not sure it can't do both accel
and decel. But how about we posit a
railgun or mag accelerator launch? That'll
give you a nice boost without requiring
reaction mass.

This is a does too does not argument as far
as I can see. I don't see any reason why a
dropcap can't carry the same proportionate
mass of fuel (it has the same heating
concerns as the shuttle) but it'll still be
lighter and more capable for two reasons:
It doesn't have to carry enough fuel to get
back to orbit (big point) and it doesn't have
to do complex hovering or other near-
ground operations (lander might not have
to do this either). The lander has to carry a
more capable system as its targeting is
less ballistic and it is expected to be able
to make a directed flight back to the source
ship.

I think the combination of a better potential
aerodynamic structure (not trying to move
N men to the ground) and an ability to
(with the exact same proportion of mass as
fuel as your lander) burn all the fuel in the
trip down, the drop cap will have a faster
time to ground.

But YMMV.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: TABLETOP DEBRIS Next: Drop caps and lead rot