Prev: Re: [OT] Princess Bride and Lead Rot Next: Re: Dropships and Lead Rot

Dropships and Lead Rot

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 21:26:00 -0400
Subject: Dropships and Lead Rot

Dropships vs. Dropcaps:

Why assume the cap goes down with no thrust and the dropship with?

Also, if they both had no thrust, the cap should have higher
V(terminal).

If they both have thrust, figure the mass being pushed against air
resistance is less for the dropcap. (Or more particularly, I'd assume a
higher thrust to mass ratio for the DC, plus some ablative components).

And you can catch something that falls out of a plane, if you can both
get to V(terminal) and your V(terminal) is faster. (ie skydiver A goes
into widespread attitude, resulting in lower V(terminal) and skydiver B
dives (faster V(terminal)) to catch up.

Lead Rot:

Henrix and Allan seem to be talking about different things. Lead Rot
(affects lead) and Pewter Plague (affects tin). In the former case, I'd
suspect temp is either a non-factor or cold inhibits. In the later, I
defer to Henrix and assume that colder temperatures are bad. Seems to me
that an ideal storage temperature would then be around 16-18 C. (Good
compromise). Storage should be in plastic cases.

Here are some questions:
1) What will seal the lead mini without providing acetic acid? The list
Allan uses is huge (in that it encompases most paints and glues!).

2) I'd guess a treatment of cleaning using a base to neutralize the
acetic acid (baking soda or soda water?) and then a cutting or grinding
or wire brushing off the powder might remove the infection. Then comes
the sealing task. What to use? How to attach the mini to its base if
epoxy and PVA and cyanoacrylate are problematic?

3) For the Pewter Plague, what is the prophylaxis?

I don't want to be beset by either of these.

Also, how would lead in things like hydro wire insulation and such be
protected? Or lead ingots?

My father restored a 1935 Ford V8 3-window coupe. After the restoration,
we had it painted. A year or two later, the paints at the joints
bubbled. He explained they used lead solder on the joints. The later-day
painters didn't probably apply the protective sealant that Ford
originally did (now I'm gonna try to find out what the heck it was!) and
so the lead eventually bubbled the paint by some process (which, given
they probably have acidic enamel paint, probably fits your description
of lead rot!). Original factory work sealed the joints.

Odd how things in my life seem strangely interconnected.....

T.

Prev: Re: [OT] Princess Bride and Lead Rot Next: Re: Dropships and Lead Rot