Prev: Re: Kra'Vak Help Request Next: Re: landings (SG/DS)

Re: [OT] Princess Bride and Lead Rot

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:35:47 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] Princess Bride and Lead Rot

On 10-Jun-02 at 13:18, Tomb (tomb@dreammechanics.com) wrote:
> FMA said:
>
> This is now the second Princess Bride reference in the
> past 30 days. . .
>
> [Tomb] I assume you are referring to a number of threads that were
> obviously "To the Pain!"?????
>
> ;)
>

> Lead Rot: Could a bath in some solution (perhaps slightly acidic or
> basic?) clean/sanitize the figure? If the figure is cleaned, could it
> not be painted to prevent a recurrence? Does the rot affect non-lead
> white metal? It seems there ought to be some recovery possible.
>
> Someone mentioned (Henrix?) not storing figures cold. How cold is
cold?
> Air conditioned chilly basement cold? Or freeze-your-ass-off winter
ice
> cold?

The museum report mentionned that heat appeared to be an accelerator.
The cold thing was a false lead. (hah, a pun that only works when
written.)

You would need something to neutralize the acetic acid.  Then you
would need something to remove all traces of lead acetate and
lead hydroxide.

Better solution:  Don't store mini's in wooden cases, don't use
white glue in your packing cases.  Store in open air.

Prev: Re: Kra'Vak Help Request Next: Re: landings (SG/DS)