Prev: Re: Weapon Modelling Next: Re: Miniature personalities

[FT]A Scenario! Really!

From: Mark Reindl <mreindl@p...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 23:49:32 -0700
Subject: [FT]A Scenario! Really!

As I was driving home after sending another class of high school seniors
on their way, I realized that I had a cool FT scenario that I'd never
posted to the list.  I offer this up in supplication and in the hopes
that my OT transgressions will be forgiven.

Repair Yard Raid

Defender:  After unexpectedly heavy fighting in this sector, your fleet
has taken heavy damage.  Those units that have not been damaged or
destroyed are spread out in an attempt to both engage the enemy, and
protect your border worlds from his attacks.  The pride of the Sector
Fleet, the Super Dreadnought (Insert Name Here) sustained heavy damage
during a fleet action in which the enemy fleet was routed.  It has been
rotated back to a repair station well behind the front lines in order to
refit, repair, and take on replacement crewmembers.  Currently it is in
spacedock, with drives, screens, and weapons systems powered down so
that maintenance and repair may be performed.  Only point defense
systems are currently operational.  Additionally, only a skeleton watch
crew remains on board while the repair work is underway.  As no attacks
in this area are expected, the ship will be sufficiently protected by a
light cruiser squadron with destroyer support, as well as several
squadrons of fighters based upon the repair base.

Attacker:  Intel has learned that the enemy Super Dreadnought (Insert
Name Here), thought to be destroyed during the recent fleet action at
(Insert...you get the point), actually suffered heavy damage and was
able to withdraw under its own power.  After further inquiries among
some covert sources, it was discovered that the SDN is undergoing
repairs at a supply base well behind the front lines of the current
conflict.  Given that both our fleet and the enemy fleet are currently
stretched to the limit, it is highly unlikely that the enemy will be
able to offer more than a token defense.  Due to the losses suffered in
recent weeks, it is imperative that the enemy SDN be permanently
crippled or destroyed, as its continued existence and eventual repair
may likely spell the end of our efforts in this sector.  To that end,
you have been given command of a raiding consisting of (I usually run it
with a Battlecruiser, a couple of heavy and light cruisers (including a
PDS variant) and a variety of destroyers).  Your mission is to destroy
or cripple the ship so that it may not be repaired.  Survival of your
strike force is of secondary concern.

The scenario is always a quite enjoyable one to run.  I typically run it
with a Komarov SDN, but it ought to work with an SDN of any fleet as the
target.  The SDN has taken damage (Usually about 1 1/2 rows of hull
boxes, roll for threshhold checks as normal for the first check to see
what other equipment was taken out).  As stated in the scenario, all
systems on the SDN are shut down except PDS.  In order to get them up
and running, the player controlling the SDN may begin rolling repair
rolls starting on the third turn of combat.  For the purposes of the
scenario, damaged systems must first be rolled for repair, THEN to start
up on the subsequent turn.  Until that time, he's got to rely on his
fighters, light covering forces, and spacedock armaments (armed w/class
1 batteries).  Also, since he's got a skeleton crew aboard, he's limited
in the amount of crew to start systems, usually down to 20%-30% of the
full crew factor.  I dont' count the civilian repair workers, since
they're not combat trained, they wouldn't stick around to run the
systems anyway.  This scenario is fun, because it's a real nailbiter for
both players.  Can the attackers destroy the SDN before it gets enough
of its systems up and running?	Or will the SDN get its critical systems
going in time to defeat the attackers?	Give it a shot, you may have to
tweak it a little, but I'm sure you and any other players will have fun
with it.

Mark

Prev: Re: Weapon Modelling Next: Re: Miniature personalities