Prev: Re: PCS/NPCS AND UNLIMITED SCENARIO IDEAS Next: Re: RE: SOFTWARE

Re: SG/DS Orbital Insertion

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:16:33 -0400
Subject: Re: SG/DS Orbital Insertion

Tomb wrote:

> [snip my stuff]
> [Tomb] Okay, for an opposed landing on a world with a good ADE net
yes,
> I can see that. For a landing on a low or zero ADE colony or outpost,
> no. If we can target cruise missiles NOW so they'll fly through a
window
> without touching the drapes (which is possible, though requires
perfect
> conditions and a big window), then I'm sure 200 years from now, we can
> set a lander pod on a specific terrain feature very exactly. Less so
if
> the drop is rushed due to enemy fire. But an unopposed landing ought
> let you insert your force fairly close together. Remember, null-grav
> packs for meteoric entry may in fact not have the "chute" that a
> parachute does, thus removing one of the major tangling risks of close
> landings.

I beleive the proper term for an unopposed landing is training.

More to the point, I beleive the cliche "Train as you will fight, fight
as
you have trained" applies...
If it's worth dropping troops in, it's going to be hot.  Even if high
command thinks/believes it's not, it's not unlikely that they're wrong,
and
even a "cold" zone could have hidden assets, snipers, etc.

Otherwise, if you're unopposed, why waste the probably
disposable/one-time
use equipment when you can land the dropship, or send them in in smaller
craft for a short repel/low-level quick insertion technique.  I'm
picturing
Aliens here, where the dropship came down, dropped them and equipment
off
then went patrolling.

That having been said, unopposed etc drops could end in perfect
placement.
Still, equipment failure, human error, panic, changing circumstances,
weather, etc...  All of these could effect even an unopposed drop.

> On a side note, I really love the insertion from the Final Fantasy
> movie...
>
> [Tomb] And how far apart do you think they landed? Typical deviations
> for a squad of 8 guys in SG tend to see about a 12-13" radial scatter.
> That translates to 120-130m. not a lot maybe in some senses, but a
long
> way in other senses.

They landed almost shoulder to shoulder, and given the ballastic path
they
took we could compute that with todays equipment.  Like I said, I liked
it,
thought it was neat and pretty, but also noted it was a movie where
bad-luck
only happens when it's wanted and never when it's not wanted.

Rand.
--
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway, where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like

Prev: Re: PCS/NPCS AND UNLIMITED SCENARIO IDEAS Next: Re: RE: SOFTWARE