Prev: Re: POLITICIANS AND OTHERS IN GAMING Next: Re: [FT] Death Star II scenario

Re: [FT] Small Craft and Customizable Fighters (long)

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 18:35:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Small Craft and Customizable Fighters (long)

In message <b8c5f0414b.Charles@nerik.monkslode.fsnet.co.uk>
	  Charles Taylor <nerik@monkslode.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

I've had some further thoughts on small craft...

> Small Craft
> ===========
>
> Small Craft have a hull size of 1 to 5 MASS, and usually only a
limited
> endurance (those with unlimited endurance should be built as FB
ships).

> Small Craft with fighter-like manoeuvrability:
>
> These are built like fighters, but the 'body' cost is 1 per hull MASS.

Their points cost is determined using the following formula:

Cost = Hull Size x (CEF/3 + Move/12 -3) + (Weapons cost) + Defence level

> They have an internal capacity of 1 less than their hull MASS
>
> This capacity can be used to mount longer-ranged or heavier weapons:
>
> 2-4 fighter torpedoes consume 1 MASS, as well as their points cost
>
> 'limited' B-1 battery: includes fire control, requires CEF to use,
> reduce to 3 fire arcs - 1 MASS and 4 points.
>
> 1 MASS can be used for hull, in which case it costs 1 MASS and 2
points
> per hull box, and increased defences cannot be brought.
>
> Fighter-like small craft can be targeted by any anti-fighter weapons,
> even if not directly attacking (they are bigger), and can be targeted
> with large weapons whose class is no bigger than their hull MASS, with
> the attack resolved as a class-1 beam in point defence, but the
maximum
> range of the weapon (thus a size 3 small craft can be targeted by beam
> batteries or k-guns of up to class 3). SMPs and MKPs are considered
> class 2, and Pulse Torpedoes/Pod Launchers class 3 for this purpose.
>
> Small Craft may also be built with ship-like manoeuvrability, in which
> case it is either purchased as a normal Main Drive, or as a limited
> endurance main drive,

In which case the Drive rating replaces the Move value in the equation
above. The drive consumes CEF at a rate of 1 CEF per 12 points of
thrust - this can be split over multiple uses. Advanced drives are
costed as if they had 50% extra thrust.

Small craft with ship-like manoeuvrability can only be targeted with
weapons whose class is less than or equal to their MASS, but the weapons
fire is resolved normally.

> Small craft can purchase extra CEF by filling capacity, 1 MASS gains
an
> extra 6 CEF at not cost.

I'm wondering whether or not to put a drive-related restriction on
secondary moves for small craft & fighters using fighter-like movement
- say, cannot exceed 12 mu, and cannot exceed movement allowance, or
half movement allowance.